Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Background Part 2

I have a few minutes before needing to go to my doctor and check in with her on my weight loss. So I figured I would continue the background information.

So after the time at the motorcycle shop, I don't remember walking away thinking I need to do something about this. The whole time I have been working on myself it has almost been more of a side thought than an I need to talk myself into this kind of thing.  Funny enough I have never really had to talk myself into any of this since I started. So flash to the end of April. I connected with my friend Sherri from high school. We had only seen each other maybe two or three times since graduating. We were chatting on Facebook one day and she asked if I had wanted to get together for breakfast.  The morning we were out to breakfast we did the usual catch each other up on life thing. It was really a good time! She told me about her business which I thought was amazing. She runs Inspired Adult Day Services. Where she does day time respite for family's with elderly parents/family members who need some care and or activities. About two weeks prior to getting together I started getting restless. I wanted to start walking. I had two years before but because of being harassed by people every time I went out, I didn't feel safe and stopped. So I started bugging everybody to walk with me. Nobody could or wanted to walk for themselves at the time so it was a no go. So towards the end of our time that morning my friend Sherri looked at me and asked 'Hey do you want to go walking with me, like on a regular basis?'  My mouth dropped. I literally looked at her and said "Are you serious?" I think the statement/question shocked her a little bit and she said that she was. I was so excited, but at the same time thinking is she going to follow through. Not anything on her character but that would be just my luck to get started and not be able to finish like a lot of things in my life that I have done that with. I agreed to start walking with her and we started the next day.

Now before I started walking I had also been doing Yoga with my friend Amy. Who was at that point wanting to be an instructor doing a program called Holy Yoga. It was more based around the christian faith but with the same stretches and movements. I was loving that as well. Everything was falling in line for me. Except one thing...... SODA... I would be what you would call addicted to the stuff. Not diet. The full on soda. The thoughts kept going through my head that I am doing all of these things to make myself feel better but here I am still drinking soda. I would usually shut those thoughts up with.... a soda. So I had decided that I didn't want to counter act all the good that I was starting to do by drinking it so I stopped. Cold Turkey! In sitting down and figuring everything out I had realized that the amount of soda I was drinking was basically the amount of calories I was supposed to consume in a day. So ANY food I was eating was on top of that. Ding .... light bulb moment if I have ever seen one. I always made me mad that I didn't feel like I ate much if even enough but I was still getting heavier and heavier. Now don't get me wrong I didn't make the best food choices. Some of which I think were driving by my sugar addiction. Like candy. I really didn't need it but I NEEDED the sweet! You know I really didn't even have to much of an issue with stopping the soda. I really don't miss it either. The thing I noticed is soon after that my massive cravings for something sweet went away too. Now don't get me wrong I still very much enjoy the taste of sweet but I don't need it like I thought I did.

With that said I will pick this up later I have a bit of a drive to get to my doctor.

No comments:

Post a Comment